Name: Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion) (officially named Rokuon-ji)
Place: 1 Kinkakuji-chō, Kita-ku, Kyōto, Kyoto Prefecture
Admission JPY 400
School: Rinzai sect, Shōkoku-ji school
Principal Image: Kannon Bosatsu (Avalokiteśvara)
Founded by: Ashikaga Yoshimitsu
Overview: Shōgun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu purchased a villa from an aristocrat and transformed into a complex centered the Golden Pavilion, three storied pagoda, shariden, with the first floor reminiscent of the residential style imperial aristocracy of the 11th century, the second floor, built in the style of warrior aristocrats and the third floor is built in traditional Chinese zen style typology. After Ashikaga Yoshimitsu’s passed away, the villa was converted into a Zen temple by his son, according to his wishes. The present pavilion was rebuilt 1955 after burned down by a 22-year-old novice monk in 1950, although the original building was maintained by that time. The temple was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994.
Official website: https://www.shokoku-ji.jp/en/kinkakuji/