Kan’eiji

Kan’eiji

  • Kiyomizu kannondo (Kan'eiji)
  • Benntendo (Kan'eiji) on Shinobazu pondo
  • Kaisan-do (Founder's) Hall
  • Cherry var. Mikurumagaeshi in Kaisan-do (Founder's) Hall
  • Waniguchi (a medal-shape steel drum) at the Chu-do Central Hall
  • wooden crest of Tokugawa on the Chu-do Central Hall
  • Chu-do Central Hall
  • Kiyomizu Kannon-do
  • Cherry blossom and The Five-storied Pagoda (of the Former Kan'ei-ji Temple)
  • The Five-storied Pagoda (of the Former Kan'ei-ji Temple)
  • The Ueno Great Buddha

Name: Kan’eiji (Tōeizan Kan’ei-ji Endon-in)
Place: Uenosakuragi 1-14-11, Taito-city, Tokyo
Foundation: 1625
Principal Image: Yakushirurikō Nyorai(薬師瑠璃光如来: Bhaisajyaguru)
Founded by: Priest Tenkai
School: Tendai
Festival: Daihannyakyo dokkai (Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra chanting festival) (2nd Feb), Kaizan kai (Zigen great priest memorial ) (2nd Ocotber), Tendai kai (Tendai school festi
Flowers: Cherry (Ueno park March-April)
Overview: This temple found by Tenkai during Kan’ei period (beginning of Edo era) by an attempt to emulate the powerful religious center Enryaku-ji, in Kyoto.  Since it was one of the two Tokugawa funeral temple; the other was Zōjō-ji, it had huge power during the edo period.
Official website: http://kaneiji.jp/pdf/english.pdf   http://kaneiji.jp/about4