Name: Nijo-jo Castle
Place: 541 Nijojocho, Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto,
Admission JPY 800
Built: 1601: Building was started by Ieyasu, the founder of the TOKUGAWA shogunate, as a residence in Kyoto in 1601, completed during the reign of 3rd Shogun Iemitsu in 1626.
Owner : TOKUGAWA Ieyasu and TOKUGAWA shoguns
Celebration ceremony of the inauguration of the shogun for Ieyasu was operated in 1603.
Declaration of returning the authority to the Imperial Court by 15th Shogun Yoshinobu, was issued In 1867.
Ninomaru Palace consists of five connected separate buildings. One of the most striking features of the buildings are the “nightingale floors” in the corridors that make a chirping sound when walked upon.
The Ninomaru garden was designed by the landscape architect and tea master Kobori Enshū.